Friday 2 December 2011

Textiles and Clay

My work for my final project of my foundation was based on the theme of visual impairments. I investigated textured surfaces of ceramic pieces; the idea being to be able to experience the artwork through the sense of touch, as well as through sight. Although my final ceramic piece became something else, I carried out test pieces to investigate texture:





I was introduced to the technique of dipping strips of fabric into porcelain slip. The idea is that the cellulose fibres of cotton fabric absorbs the liquid porcelain. When the pieces is fired in the kiln, the fabric burns away leaving the impression of the material cast in clay. Man-made fibres don't work as well as they are less efficient at absorbing the liquid porcelain.

Before beggining, the casting slip needs to be stirred well as it contains a deflocculant which holds the clay in suspension. Using a balloon as a former, I wrapped it with different materials that had been dipped in the porcelain slip. I used a selection of string and thin strips of contton fabric. I coloured some of the pieces of string and fabric with metallic oxides mixed with a water-based medium to create colour. I also soaked some nylon lace in the copper mixture and applied it to the surface. I then dripped some of the porcelain slip onto some of the surface.


Once the slip had dried, I popped the balloon and turned it the right way up:


 The piece was then bisquet dried..

No comments:

Post a Comment