Wednesday 14 December 2011

Fabric and porcelain slip

Following on from my first test piece with fabric and porcelain slip I looked for materials at home with texture that I could cast with porcelain. I found some cotton yarn that looks embroidered and some wool with a shaggy texture. I also found some organza and wanted to see how that would turn out, since it is not cotton, I expected it to work less well and repel some of the porcelain. I was also keen to stitch onto strips of fabric and incorporate that.


Second Porcelain Test Piece formed around a balloon


Close-up photo showing the different materials used including cotton'embroidered' yarn, 'shaggy' yarn, fabric stitched with a running stitch

I also used  thin strips of cotton fabric, wide cotton string and organza. Once the fabric had been left to dry for a few days, I carefully popped the balloon:


On the shelf waiting to be fired


I decided not to glaze the piece, but to see how the porcelain would be in it's natural, unglazed state. As such, I left it to be fired to stoneware temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment