Monday 28 November 2011

My first entry!

Here's my first ever blog entry and I thought I'd start off  by talking about an interesting exhibition I went to in the summer. During a holiday visiting family in Macau, I went to an exhibition of contemporary ceramics held at the Macau Art Museum. A very varied and interesting exhibition of 10 local ceramicists, including Simon Ho Sio Chong's piece of contrasts 'White and Black' 2008:


Simon Ho Sio Chong 'White and Black' 2008

I liked this piece for it's contrasts: the black and white clays used and the two forms, with the black being the feminine part and the white being the male part.

I enjoyed looking at each piece in the exhibition and I tried to understand how they had been constructed and glazed.

Also of interest was Sou Pui Kun's 'New Human Species' work from 2008. Whilst the forms were intriguing, I particularly liked the effects of layering achieved from using different glazes:


Sou Pui Kun 'New Human Species' 2008


Sou Pui Kun 'New Human Species' 2008 (detail)

I also liked Josefina Maria Banares' work 'Shade and Shadow of Memories' 2010-2011. I liked the carefully moulded forms, the contrasting white and dark blue glazes used, as well as the simplicity of the illustrations that relate to the artist's childhood memories:


Josefina Maria Banares 'Shade and Shadow of Memories' 2010-2011

I thought it was a very interesting exhibition and I have been thinking about how some of the techniques used could inform my own work..

No comments:

Post a Comment